[Gllug] Re: EU council streaming petition

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Jan 2 09:35:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 10:34:07PM +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jan 2007, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>
> > It's in a format I can view with an open source, GPLd piece of
> > software.  I can convert it to a format deemed more convenient if I
> > like.  It's a non-issue, it slashdot-like whining about perceived
> > rebukes to openness.  Get over it.
>
> You don't usually loose freedoms all in one go. They are eroded by degree
> which is why it is important to defend on seemingly unimportant matters as
> well as obviously important ones.
>
> Which GPL software includes legal codecs able to read WMV and other
> proprietary encoded data?

Well, ffmpeg can now apparently decode WMV9.  They reverse engineered
it.  Microsoft have [software-] patented around this codec.

However that doesn't detract from the point that the EU should have
used a truly open format.  What happens if Microsoft automatically
update the EU's servers and we are faced with "WMV10".

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Internet Marketing and AdWords courses - http://merjis.com/courses - NEW!