[Gllug] How to supress all those "localhost.localdomain"s in mail

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 22 20:08:55 UTC 2007

On Mon 22 Jan, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> Would this work with a single box on the domain environment? ie I have a
> box which is hosting the www.somedomain.com and also is the mailserver for
> somedomain.com. Apache and sendmail communicate over loopback and so
> apache always looks like it is on 127.0.0.1
>
> Changing /etc/hosts so that the first bit of the entry for 127.0.0.1 is
> your domain gets rid of the localhost.localdomain thing but can lead to
> some equally odd things in headers (as an examination of this message's
> headers will show)

   As far as I can figure any machine (or virtual machine) can be called
anything relevant to a domain you are hosting as long as there is a DNS
pointer to find it, and CNAME reference if required, (although I am only
running a single domain, which means I have no other complications). I
decided to try this as a means to get a satisfactory "helo=" response, and
it will carry on working like this until I find a better method. There
probably are better methods, this was relatively easy.

--
Chris Bell