[Gllug] How to supress all those "localhost.localdomain"s in mail

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 22 22:27:44 UTC 2007

Chris Bell wrote:
> On Mon 22 Jan, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>
>    As far as I can figure any machine (or virtual machine) can be called
> anything relevant to a domain you are hosting as long as there is a DNS
> pointer to find it, and CNAME reference if required, (although I am only
> running a single domain, which means I have no other complications). I
> decided to try this as a means to get a satisfactory "helo=" response, and
> it will carry on working like this until I find a better method. There
> probably are better methods, this was relatively easy.

The local machine name in "Received" headers should make no difference
whatsoever to mail receipt by foreign systems, and I've not seen anyone
filtering on this. The name presented in the HELO/EHLO exchange is
another matter - you shouldn't filter on it, but increasingly, people are.

With sendmail, you can easily change this by building with _FFR_HELONAME
defined, and then setting option HeloName in the config file. I don't
know whether other MTAs have caught up with this yet, but clearly it's a
useful option.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk