[Gllug] ist that right that the Oyster card got RFID on it?

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Thu Jan 18 13:29:48 UTC 2007

Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> writes:

> On 17 Jan 2007, John Winters outgrape:
>
>>> and being rude to long-suffering customers.
>>
>> This touches a nerve, particularly with all those notices about how the
>> authorities will prosecute anyone who is abusive to staff.  I've never
>> been abusive to staff, but I've been verbally abused by staff on a number
>> of occasions.
>
> You've never been in the station when a mass of drunken football
> supporters have come through, or when a lot of pissed-off City workers

I've actually found that while drunk football fans (or maybe it's mostly
rugby fans) are loud and obnoxious, they are rarely actually abusive.

> have been stranded by some huge delay? The station staff can't do
> anything about delays, but it's *them* who get cursed.

But, not meaning to defend the actions of the needlessly unpleasant,
where *should* the angst go? Except in a very few cases delays on the
train network are inexcusable and there is simply nothing that
passengers can do when they happen. In theory the angst passengers heap
on staff should find its way up the chain to the people who *can* do
something with whom passengers have no contact.

There needs to be some way to make those on top notice the problems they
are causing, and if the only plausible method is to make the front-line
staff unhappy then, short of actual physical and (direct) verbal abuse,
I am all for it. If it causes the turnover to triple maybe notice will
be paid.

I don't think I've said that very clearly, so while I may not be able to
stand by what I said I stand by what I meant.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child," for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely