[Gllug] OSS Spam filtering, virus scanning email solutions

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Jan 3 13:51:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Matthew Thompson wrote:

> Got a bit of a puzzle - we already have plenty of anti virus and anti
> spam in place on our company's email system but it seems that our use of
> the Spamhaus SBL+XBL feed is annoying some journalists who insist on
> using dodgy russian ISPs.
>
> I've been asked to provide a method that we can use to provide thises
> punters with the ability to email us unhindered and I think that a
> standalone OSS solution is likely to be what I need.
>
> But I can't find any applications that will reject emails until the user
> confirms their identity. Anyone got any pointers - or better still
> examples of other ways I can acheive this?

Configure your MTA properly and the problem will go away.

Set it to make decisions after it receives the HELO, MAIL FROM and RCPT
commands. That way you have the data you need and can decide accordingly.

You could also consider setting up per user filtering such that those
particular users have fewer checks applied.

Note however that if you do this those users will end up creating problems
for the other users when they accept virus/worm infected messages.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98