[Gllug] NHS opt out

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Jan 27 00:08:45 UTC 2007

On 26 Jan 2007, Richard Jones spake thusly:
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 07:36:56PM +0000, Nix wrote:
>> If you find a biometric that works and has affordable and convenient
>> readers and doesn't have too many FPs and doesn't vary too much over
>> time and doesn't get confused by rare things like identical twins,
>> pregnant women, or children, you could become very rich, because none
>> currently exists. (Nor can I see any way to implement one.)
>
> Or, as I think they're called, "chimera".

Chimerae, yes, and microchimerae (that is to say, all of us, especially
women with children).

> Just in case anyone was going to mention DNA-based systems.

To add more peculiarity to this, *every* woman is a chimera in a sense,
and some proposed systems which match regions on the X chromosome have
been thrown off by this (you'd think no such systems would be designed
without anyone thinking `hang on, Barr bodies', but no...)

--
`The serial comma, however, is correct and proper, and abandoning it will
surely lead to chaos, anarchy, rioting in the streets, the Terrorists