[Gllug] ADSL2 router help / recomendation

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Wed Jan 24 12:59:32 UTC 2007

Simon Perry wrote:

> Please do, even if the models are not the same then maybe their
> configuration may help me coax the desired result out of mine.

OK. I have not done this myself so reporting at second hand.

1. First you REQUIRE to have more than one fixed IP address assigned in
your block. Two is the absolute minimum.

2. ***I am informed that all details are somewhere on the Zyxel
website*** Try looking for NAT and passthrough and IPSec.

Briefly, on the router:

- you must turn off the firewall
- set the LAN address to the router IP (set a static IP)
- turn off NAT
- optionally set up DHCP which must exactly match the IP block you have
been assigned (this makes it easier to connect to admin it).

Then continue as per instructions on web site or in manual. I looked at
the manual, it's not explicit but can I think be disentangled. It's
basically just the above.

If you don't have multiple fixed IP addresses this will not work. Best
advice is to buy a modem that permits pass through - various can do this.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk