[Gllug] ADSL2 router help / recomendation

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 14:12:50 UTC 2007

On Wed 24 Jan, James Roberts wrote:

> OK. I have not done this myself so reporting at second hand.
>
> 1. First you REQUIRE to have more than one fixed IP address assigned in
> your block. Two is the absolute minimum.

   It looks as if the 4-port ethernet switch and wireless port in the
HiPoint router is sufficiently configurable to allow the ADSL modem to
output only via a single port, with the other ports configured to operate
and route independantly, allowing a single allocated IP address to be passed
to an external firewall box, with data then re-entered via another port. I
will have to try it.
   The box certainly claims Bridged/Routed Ethernet over ATM (RFC
2684/1483), Classical IP over ATM (RFC 1577) and PPP over Ethernet (RFC
2516), Ethernet to ADSL self-learning Transparent Bridging (IEEE 802.1D) and
VPN Pass Through (PPTP, L2TP) and much more.

--
Chris Bell