[Gllug] ist that right that the Oyster card got RFID on it?

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Tue Jan 16 15:33:27 UTC 2007

"Peter Childs" <peterachilds at gmail.com> writes:

> Luddites (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite) it always amazes
> me how the IT industry has quite so many Luddites in it.

The thing everyone forgets about the Luddites is they weren't opposed to
all machines in their industry: just the ones that dehumanised their
jobs. They quite regularly smashed some but not all machines in
factories.

A bit like, say, resisting the imposition of Eclipse when you've got a
fine, well-tuned .emacs ready.

Or saying "This DRM stuff isn't actually going to make our lives
better."

Or - well, I'm sure you can think of some more examples. Check
news:comp.risks for others.

Oh, and just to weigh in on the Oyster debate:

I've got a cash Oyster that's never been near my bank details. I tend
to recharge it in any of a hundred million corner shops that provide
that service.

One thing people miss about the Oyster is that the Mayor's tourism
operation is promoting it out-of-country, so visitors to London can get
one before they even fly here.

The other is it allows London Transport to have *much* clearer
information about routing and travel flows across the network...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadowrobot.com/hand/overview.shtml