[Gllug] NHS opt out

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 19:18:39 UTC 2007

budgester at budgester.com wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 10:39:13PM +0000, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
>> Not that I'm a cynic or anything you understand, and I'm not in the
>> tinfoil hat group either, but institutionalise incompetence is alive and
>> well. Any medical records system should place the data subject in
>> control first and foremost. MedicAlert* bracelets are a great idea -
>> this is not.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> * And a digital version of those, free to all citizens, would be worth
>> supporting.
>
> And thus the way leads to ID cards (only with charging).

Possibly, but I personally don't have a problem with ID cards per se. I
have a huge problem with the proposed implementation we're getting, but
that's a different story. An ID card that has all your personal data on,
encrypted, and then digitally signed by the Government could work, as
long as you and only you could authorise people to interrogate it, and
you had to expressly choose which data you wanted to reveal. Thus you
could prove your age, address, and all sorts of other things. This is
worlds away from the scheme they're proposing, where the data is
centralised in a government database, and you have no control over who
gets access to what.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk