[Gllug] Are computers getting worse?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Jan 19 15:59:49 UTC 2007

budgester at budgester.com wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 07:09:23AM -0000, John Winters wrote:
>> On no account go anywhere near Serco products - Facility and Scheduler.
>> The quality of the design and programming will make you weep.
>
> As someone who has to use these products, I can concur with John, I also
> hear rather bad things about SIMS as well.

Don't get me started!  Web front end which can handle anything up to 4
simultaneous users before it starts to stagger, anyone?   Web forms with
no visible means to distinguish writeable fields from their
surroundings?  Dialogue boxes where no two follow the same conventions.
  And how's this for a query box?

    |   You have selected a resource of the same type as one already   |
    |   attached to this event.  Do you want to replace the existing   |
    |   resource or add this resource to the event?                    |
    |            Yes                No             Cancel              |

Jesus-schwepped!  How much extra work is it to make those buttons,
"Add", "Replace", "Cancel"?

(To be fair, I've typed that query text from memory, but it catches the
essence of it.)

> Just keeping a watch for schooltool from Mark Shuttleworths mob.

It looks potentially attractive, but far from complete enough at this stage.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk