[Gllug] OSS Spam filtering, virus scanning email solutions

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 13:14:41 UTC 2007

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 12:26:29 +0000 Matthew Thompson
<matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk> wrote:

> John G Walker wrote:
> > I don't see this approach working for your journalists. The problem
> > is one of your own making. If you let other people decide what you
> > can or can't receive then IMHO you're asking for trouble (which you
> > seem to have got).
> >
> For crying out loud - I should have known better than to ask here -
> I'm not asking for a critique of our curent method of operation. I
> know that it's causing an issue for a small number of users.

And I answered: don't use such methods. They're more trouble than
they're worth, as you're finding out.

And use a bit of theory: a "small number" today, plus a "small number"
tomorrow, plus a "small number" the day after, and so on... will
eventually become a large chunk of your user base. However, if you're
happy to pay money to people for them to block your lines of
communication, please don't let me stop you.

I also suggested that your preferred solution had problems. But, again,
if you don't think my reasoning was convincing, then that's entirely
your affair. It's what your brain's for,

--
 All the best,
 John