[Gllug] ADSL2 router help / recomendation

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 10:26:56 UTC 2007

On Wed 24 Jan, t.clarke wrote:

> I have an ETEC router at home which uses the Texas integrated chip, which
> works well and is cheap,  but does not appear to allow 'bridging' - it insists
> on natting as far as I can figure out.    It seems that the TI based routers
> vary in the way the embedded linux operating system is set up  - so some
> clearly do allow a more flexible routing strategy than others.
> The TI chip seems slightly better (in my experience) in processing the raw
> ADSL signal on the line and acordibgly syncing at a slightly high speed in
> some cases.        If you do go for a TI based router it would seem you need
> to be very careful to check what routing configurations it permits.

   There probably are many small workshops in the far east producing various
interesting bits of kit, but I get the impression that there are a few very
large factories that churn out huge quantities of top quality kit for many
different own-brand names, including some of the most well known brands, and
the same assembly lines will build a given design into any case specified by
the customer, with any label, in any packaging, and a price which reflects
the order size. A buyer who travels to visit a factory can see the range
manufactured. I am told that the biggest motherboard manufacturer in the
world sells very few under its own brand names, almost all are produced
under bulk contracts for famous name brands.

--
Chris Bell