[Gllug] NHS opt out

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 23:13:29 UTC 2007

On 1/22/07, Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Even if they put you down on the database as an alcoholic, and then tell
> lots of people about it without notifying you, including distributing it
> to private companies. Oh, and you can't get the entry corrected without
> withdrawing entirely from the NHS. Good that...
>
> http://society.guardian.co.uk/e-public/story/0,,1937302,00.html

The most worrying bit about that is where the article states:

"An unknown official at a hospital was updating her medical records
and inputted a wrong code."

Unknown? WTF? How many millions of taxpayers money have we given to
EDS / Accenture / whoever, and yet they've been unable to implement a
simple audit trail of who added a given note to a patient's record?
Why was such an audit trail not a mandatory part of the spec, and why
was the system ever signed off to go live without it?

It seems governmental incompetence really does know no bounds.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk