[Gllug] User/apache file permissions question

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Mon Jan 8 23:14:07 UTC 2007

I'm about to ask a really silly question - especially that its one I
should know the answer to; but here goes.

I'm running a simple web server on a FC5 system. So far so good. There
are a couple of sites hosted on it as virtualhosts and the html files
are all subdirectories of /var/www/html. The actual conent of the site
is owned by the relevant username and the group ownership is apache.

I want to give someone access to one of the directories via SCP to
update the content. What is the recognised way of doing this.... without
giving full access to everything....obviously.

On FC1 I put the html files in /home/username/subdirectory and directed
apache to serve the content from there. It seems that some commercial
hosts do something like this. That no longer works on FC5 - I think
that's a setting in httpd.conf.

Another alternative is to put a link from  /home/username to
/var/www/html/sitename but even though the html content of the site is
owned by the username access is denied - I guess due to directory
permissions.

Selinux is set permissive - so rather than re-invent the wheel - is
there a recognised standard way this is done.

Thanks in advance

Ken

believed to be clean.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk