[Gllug] ADSL2 router help / recomendation

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 26 09:33:52 UTC 2007

On Thu 25 Jan, Juergen Schinker wrote:

> i'm looking for a dumb adsl modem that does nothing but dsl
> and passes the public ip to my linux-server...
>
> Hints?
>
> Juergen

   It is not worth making a box which would not sell in huge numbers, but
most, if not all, boxes allow all the goodies to be switched off if not
required. The cost of the advanced ADSL2+ box I am using now is only
slightly more than a less capable standard box, it sits at 8128/448
continuously, it is ready for the next stage in BT development (up to about
25Mbps ADSL2+), and is fully configurable. Yes, I am sure it will do what
you say you want, I assume that you want to play games if you do not want
anything between the ADSL box and your server, although I would still want a
firewall of some sort (the HiPoint box has optional IP-Tables style
filtering, and I also use an IPCop box). I was using an ASUS box before
which has a single ethernet output but still had routing, NAT, IP-Tables
style filtering, and other facilities, all optional, and it could also act
as a transparent (half) bridge. It normally ran at about 7500Kbps.

--
Chris Bell