[Gllug] RS232 serial adaptor

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Wed Jan 24 19:35:21 UTC 2007

Hi

Alain Williams wrote:
> A quick google shows that there are USB connected RS232 adaptors about, but I
> can't evaluate one over the other.

If you mean straight one usb connector => one RS232 port, you may want
to be careful as they will be created on the host machine in the order
they identify with the USB stack, which is not necessarily the same as
the order they are plugged in, so if a given device has to appear on a
consistent tty device, you will get stuck.
If the adaptors are sane they will each have a unique serial number and
you can use udev rules to ensure consistent naming, but (at least) the
one I use to give my laptop a serial port does not have a serial number :(

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net