[Gllug] Linux magazine

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 10:54:47 UTC 2007

On 06/01/07, ben fitzgerald <ben at bfitzgerald.co.uk> wrote:
> And what's with that editor?? Very odd! Still, this thread has put me
> onto  Linux User + Developer - I'll give it a try...

Actually Linux User + Developer is the only one I've ever thought
worth paying for.

I used to get DDJ and (many moons ago, when it had 6 page articles on
stuff like the pentium chip design) Byte.

Byte went downhill fast a decade ago, from technical to mostly
marketing and opinion/personality pieces.

DDJ has been pretty poor for the last few years unless you're a Java
or .net bod, as inevitably every article falls into one of a)
embedded, b) This weeks Java API that is inapplicable to any other
language or platform, c) This weeks  MS '.Net' (never mono, or ansi
standard stuff) API that is inapplicable to any other language or
platform, d) This weeks 3rd party tool for either some obscure C++
niche, Java or .Net.

*sigh*

A.

--