[Gllug] EU council streaming petition

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Jan 2 09:58:37 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 05:51:48AM +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> That's exactly right.  It probably won't be long before MS start
> charging for each use of their Media Player - "pay-per-use" is
> Microsoft's ultimate aim.  The stream may be "free", but the software to
> watch it will be expensive to use.

Not so sure, there are 2 'pay per use' scenarios:

1/ pay-per-use of the s/ware. Money goes to the s/ware vendor. I don't
   see this happening. What I suspect is that the s/ware to *generate* the
   format will cost lots of $$, but that to view it will be free.
2/ pay-per-view, you need to pay 10p to view things. The money goes to
   the content generator (who probably has paid much as per (1)).

I suspect that we will get (1) and some (2).

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/