[Gllug] BBC: Battle of the operating systems

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Mon Jan 29 13:54:17 UTC 2007

Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> writes:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Rich Walker wrote:
>
>> I think that seems to be part of the goals of LedgerSMB, a fork of
>> SQL-Ledger that aims to have a sane interface and security support...
>>
>> http://www.ledgersmb.org/
>
> I already had a look and frankly there is so little real information there
> that I came to the conclusion that it's not substantially different from
> sql-ledger which is just too general to meet my needs.
>
> If I want to have nothing more than a log of transactions I can keep my
> spreadsheet based system.
>
> What is needed is an equivilent to MYOB, Quickbooks or Sage. It simply
> doesn't exist in the Free Software world and I suspect a big part of the
> reason for that is the lack of focus. An accounting package is more about
> business requirement and local tax systems than programming. It also
> requires specific and long term commitment.
>
> I've sadly come to the conclusion that this is one area where I will have
> to break with my standard to date and start using a proprietary software
> system in order to keep things running properly. That means I'll have to
> run some variant of Windows for this application.

The basis that SQL-Ledger and LedgerSMB are running from seems to be
sound. SQL-Ledger has certain disadvantages, some of which I would say
are addressed by the LedgerSMB people.

At a guess, I'm assuming you want to tie your online customer account
management in to the ledger; the problem SQL-Ledger has is that it's
relatively difficult to do this 'cos there's no sensible API, and
that's one of the things LedgerSMB is intended to address.

*ties threads together*

Possibly this is something to sponsor a student to do?

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadowrobot.com/hand/overview.shtml