[Gllug] BBC: Battle of the operating systems

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Mon Jan 29 13:18:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Rich Walker wrote:

> I think that seems to be part of the goals of LedgerSMB, a fork of
> SQL-Ledger that aims to have a sane interface and security support...
>
> http://www.ledgersmb.org/

I already had a look and frankly there is so little real information there
that I came to the conclusion that it's not substantially different from
sql-ledger which is just too general to meet my needs.

If I want to have nothing more than a log of transactions I can keep my
spreadsheet based system.

What is needed is an equivilent to MYOB, Quickbooks or Sage. It simply
doesn't exist in the Free Software world and I suspect a big part of the
reason for that is the lack of focus. An accounting package is more about
business requirement and local tax systems than programming. It also
requires specific and long term commitment.

I've sadly come to the conclusion that this is one area where I will have
to break with my standard to date and start using a proprietary software
system in order to keep things running properly. That means I'll have to
run some variant of Windows for this application.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98