[Gllug] Browsing WiFi networks on Linux

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 4 07:26:47 UTC 2007

Tethys wrote:
> "Daniel P. Berrange" writes:
>
>> Sounds like you might want to try NetworkManager
>>
>> http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/
>>
>> No more manually configuring /etc/sysconfig/... files each time you
>> want to join a different wifi network. Just select the one you want
>>from the desktop panel applet - it will also auto-switch to wired if
>> you plug in the ethernet cable.
>
> I don't suppose anyone's done the sane thing, and written a standalone
> app that interfaces with NetworkManager, for those of us that don't
> want to run a sucky panel on the desktop, have they?

I'm certainly not aware of one. It's the reason I'm not running
NetworkManager. Although the architecture is independent of the GUI, the
implementation is effectively tied to the desktop right now, so it's
useless for anyone not running GNOME/KDE.

There's an alternate approach that's not desktop linked discussed at
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/312 - I've been meaning to
get round to setting something like this up for my laptop for a while,
but not had time yet.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk