[Gllug] File permissions and umask on Ubuntu (and I think probably, Debian)

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at ossified.net
Sun Jan 7 15:36:39 UTC 2007

John Winters wrote:
> If you know a way of achieving this kind of file sharing without setting
> umasks to 0002 then I'd love to hear it.  Asking users to keep changing
> their umasks depending on what kind of work they're doing is *not*
> feasible.

It appears that your only problem is non-propagation of group writable
bits to subdirectories of your sharable root because of the default (and
clearly sensible) system umask.

A disgusting but quite feasible hack is to periodically run a
`/usr/bin/find /path/to/shared -type d -exec chmod g+w {} \;` to enable
group members other than the file creator to alter the directory and its
contents. Anything else would seem to be a bit of a corruption of the
whole UNIX permissions philosophy :)

Ant