[Gllug] Hassle free way to connect ethernet-enabled device to a wireless LAN

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Jan 20 15:37:31 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 03:24:58PM +0000, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 15:19 +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> > I've got a computer and a printer and various other bits which have
> > ethernet sockets but no wireless, and no way to wireless enable them
> > either.  I want to connect them to my wifi LAN (running cables around
> > the house is not an option).
> >
> > I think what I need here is a "wireless ethernet bridge".
> > Unfortunately these devices seem to be rare as hens teeth at the
> > moment.  I would prefer to avoid the triumvirate of shoddy wireless
> > kit (ie. Linksys, D-Link and Belkin), but it looks like they are the
> > only ones selling such devices, and even those are rare.
>
> Aren't commodity wireless routers wireless ethernet bridges?

Well, apparently not.  As a follow up, I bought a Netgear WG602 v3
which said it could do wireless bridging, but apparently it can't.

The configuration is incredibly devious, and it might just be that I
set it up wrong, or perhaps it's some other sort of wireless briding,
or it may be that it can only bridge with other Netgear devices (my
main AP is a Belkin 54G, and this may be another reason to throw the
Belkin out of a high window, goodness knows there have been plenty of
other times I've wanted to do that).

However I'm trying to get the definitive answer before buying any more
kit.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones