[Gllug] How to supress all those "localhost.localdomain"s in mail

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Mon Jan 22 10:04:08 UTC 2007

On Sun, January 21, 2007 7:55 pm, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Sun 21 Jan, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>

>> So how can I stop all these "localhost.localdomains" and similar in my
>> headers (this is from a remote sendmail I operate) eg
>>
>    I have a box called postman configured as postman.mydomain, and that is
> listed on its own in my Bind9 DNS server db.mydomain while everything else
> is listed in db.localdomain as boxname.localdomain although
> postman.localdomain is added with a CNAME reference and GLUE "A"
> reference.
>    All boxes appear as normal, together with their appropriate fully
> qualified domain names, in the same local domain listing by numerical IP
> address.
>    This allows local boxes to find its IP address from a search on
> "postman"
> in the same way as any other local "boxname".
>    The box postman.mydomain is configured to re-write outgoing headers so
> that emails appear to originate from mydomain, while it gives a
> satisfactory
> helo response as postman.mydomain

Would this work with a single box on the domain environment? ie I have a
box which is hosting the www.somedomain.com and also is the mailserver for
somedomain.com. Apache and sendmail communicate over loopback and so
apache always looks like it is on 127.0.0.1

Changing /etc/hosts so that the first bit of the entry for 127.0.0.1 is
your domain gets rid of the localhost.localdomain thing but can lead to
some equally odd things in headers (as an examination of this message's
headers will show)