[Gllug] How to supress all those "localhost.localdomain"s in mail

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 21 19:55:38 UTC 2007

On Sun 21 Jan, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> So how can I stop all these "localhost.localdomains" and similar in my
> headers (this is from a remote sendmail I operate) eg

   I have a box called postman configured as postman.mydomain, and that is
listed on its own in my Bind9 DNS server db.mydomain while everything else
is listed in db.localdomain as boxname.localdomain although
postman.localdomain is added with a CNAME reference and GLUE "A" reference.
   All boxes appear as normal, together with their appropriate fully
qualified domain names, in the same local domain listing by numerical IP
address.
   This allows local boxes to find its IP address from a search on "postman"
in the same way as any other local "boxname".
   The box postman.mydomain is configured to re-write outgoing headers so
that emails appear to originate from mydomain, while it gives a satisfactory
helo response as postman.mydomain

--
Chris Bell