[Gllug] OSS Spam filtering, virus scanning email solutions

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jan 4 13:00:09 UTC 2007

This is getting weirder:

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 11:16:14 +0000 (GMT) Chris Bell
<chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>    I do not seem to be the only one that took the original request to
> be for suggestions to deal with a less than ideal situation.

Indeed you're not. I also read the post in the same way, and made a
comment. The comment wasn't what the poster wanted to read, but it's
what he needed to know.

>    I take it to imply that some, possibly unrecognised, sending
> addresses may be associated with ISPs that have a blanket spamblock
> listing applied. Anti-virus and spam filtering is already in use, but
> the use of blacklists causes problems. To quote:

That's a very good summary of his request. And to summarise my reply
(which you also quoted): You're going down the wrong road, mate. Your
problem is a direct consequence of your preferred "solution". (Which is
what he didn't want to hear.)

I still don't get your point, mainly, I suspect, because you don't have
one. Nothing in your post quoted above has anything to do with the post
with which you started this sub-thread. So could we stop it here?

--
 All the best,
 John