[Gllug] File permissions and umask on Ubuntu (and I think probably, Debian)

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Jan 6 19:24:13 UTC 2007

Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> John Winters wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> Still investigating.
>> Found it!  It's a long-standing and well-documented (but alas un-fixed)
>> bug in gdm.  Whatever your system configuration it overrides it and
>> forces you to 0022.
>>
>> Once I'd worked out it was only happening when I logged in through gdm,
>> the rest was easy.  Thank you for listening (seriously).
>
> So have you found a way to make it work now, or have you just stopped
> using GDM? That's a very big problem to be "long standing", though sadly
> that seems not to be unusual for GNOME applications.

Yes, the workaround is to add a "umask 002" instruction in
/etc/gdm/Xsession.  I put it just after the "Beginning session setup..."
message.  The alternative of putting it in /etc/gdm/Init/Default (as
suggested in the conversation about bug #336214) doesn't work.  I've
added a note to the bug record and modified the DebianDesktop Wiki page
to include the workaround.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk