[Gllug] ist that right that the Oyster card got RFID on it?

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 20 00:29:28 UTC 2007

James Roberts wrote:
> Nix wrote:
>
>> I'm waiting for them to tell me `the eating of human flesh within the
>> station concourse can be dangerous and is illegal'.
>
> I'm probably going to regret this question but I just gotta ask: I can
> see why eating 'long pig' is illegal (depending I suppose on the
> jurisdiction) and indeed arguably immoral (and I'm a veggie) - but why
> should it be dangerous?

Apparently it's a vector for for some brain diseases, though we have
some innate protection against this, which is being cited as evidence
our ancestors ate each other with some frequency:-

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/04/0410_030410_cannibal.html

The disease Kuru is closely related as well:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_%28disease%29

I suppose you could consider BSE a result of bovine cannibalism - though
in that case because we make cattle feed out of cattle, rather than
because the cows occasionally go off grass and eat a neighbour...

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk