[Gllug] ist that right that the Oyster card got RFID on it?

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Jan 20 00:55:59 UTC 2007

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 00:29:28 +0000 Mike Brodbelt
<mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > I'm probably going to regret this question but I just gotta ask: I
> > can see why eating 'long pig' is illegal (depending I suppose on
> > the jurisdiction) and indeed arguably immoral (and I'm a veggie) -
> > but why should it be dangerous?
>
> Apparently it's a vector for for some brain diseases, though we have
> some innate protection against this, which is being cited as evidence
> our ancestors ate each other with some frequency:-

Most diseases (bacterial and viral) are specific to one species. That
means if you eat a diseased member of another species, most (though not,
of course, all) of the time you don't have to worry, since it isn't
possible for you to catch that specific nasty.

If you eat a diseased member of your own species, then, most of the
time, you do have to worry, since you're also ingesting an organism that
has evolved to infect you,

--
 All the best,
 John