[Gllug] TFT Monitors

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Jan 1 17:31:00 UTC 2007

Peter Cannon wrote:
[snip]
> I think we will agree to disagree on the on-board graphics I cant see how it
> can give as good a performance as a dedicated card

It can't, but for the business desktop an on-board graphics adaptor
which works 5 times as fast as is needed is just as good as an add-on
graphics card which works 25 times as fast as is needed.  There comes a
point where it's important to recognise that the base model does all you
need and so there's no point in spending any more.

It's like the question of what CPU to buy.  A few years ago, people
doing big spreadsheets on 286-based computers were desperate for the
extra power which a 386 would give them and willingly (and sensibly)
paid a premium to upgrade to the 386.  Nowadays, for most users the
slowest (mainstream) CPU you can buy is more than enough for all
purposes so unless you know you have a real requirement for the cutting
edge you should ignore the spotty teenage salesman in PC World and go
for the trailing edge of the power curve.  If I were buying simple
office desktop systems I'd rather spend my money on a good quality power
supply than the latest and greatest CPU.

> and I dislike giving up valuable RAM space for graphics.

Valuable RAM space!?  Have you seen how much RAM you can get for
sixpence three-farthings these days?

> P'S what does YMMV mean?

Your Mileage May Vary.

John