[Gllug] TFT Monitors

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Mon Jan 1 17:12:46 UTC 2007

On Sunday 31 December 2006 12:53, Tethys wrote:

> And rightly so. Onboard graphics are almost invariably a better choice for
> pretty much any normal business desktop

A year or so ago I would have said "You are wrong" however today (2007) you
may have a point but not for the reason you state.

Because base systems are so cheap, I saw one advertised the other day for
£139.00 including a 15" TFT, it pays company's to buy in two or three units
and stick them in a cupboard to be whipped out in the event of a failure. As
one of my customers said a month or so back "I'm cancelling our maintenance
contract, theres no point, if it breaks I'll buy a new one" the only critical
element potentially is the hard drive anyway, but good practise is to save
valuable stuff on the server so that shouldn't be a problem either.

> [1]. They tend to be well supported
> under Linux without the need for closed source drivers that leave you
> with a tainted (and hence unsupportable) kernel, they're more than fast
> enough, and they've proved less prone to failure than a PCI/AGP/PCIE card
> in my experience. Plus of course, you don't need to pay extra for them.
> YMMV.

When I first got into Linux I used to lay awake at night fretting
over "xxxx.i386.rpm tainting kernel setting somethingorother flag" then it
came to pass that that error message is unimportant unless your a purist as
it has no effect what so ever on the kernel performance. :-)

I think we will agree to disagree on the on-board graphics I cant see how it
can give as good a performance as a dedicated card and I dislike giving up
valuable RAM space for graphics.

P'S what does YMMV mean?

--
Regards