[Gllug] TFT Monitors

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Thu Jan 11 11:00:02 UTC 2007

Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> writes:

> On Thursday 11 January 2007 00:40, Nix wrote:
>
>> If he manages to do *that* and remain sane there are a lot of places
>> that might want to hire him, possibly after a course of psychological
>> rehabilitation.
>
> I see, so because you've not convinced me in respect of having a working
> graphics card irrespective of the fact that the driver/module is tainting the
> kernel your course of persuasion is to call into question my mental
> stability?

You did manage to parse the original sentences correctly, yes? To summarise:

Developer who has hacked on gcc, kernels, et al, indicates that the
experience of debugging kernels with binary modules in it is likely to
drive the person doing the debugging insane.

Now, you're welcome to use binary modules if you like. But bear in mind
that the people who write the tools and systems you are using them on
say, to a first approximation "we *can't* help you if it's a binary
module", and don't complain when you don't get support for other
problems.

Personally, I have never managed to get the NVidia drivers to work in
Debian over one kernel upgrade, and so now just don't bother.

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadowrobot.com/hand/overview.shtml