[Gllug] TFT Monitors

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 11:12:29 UTC 2007

On 1/11/07, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:

> I see, so because you've not convinced me in respect of having a working
> graphics card irrespective of the fact that the driver/module is tainting the
> kernel your course of persuasion is to call into question my mental
> stability?

Wow. That's quite an impressive misreading of what he said...

> I notice predominantly your contributions are generally in the negative usually
> telling some poor sole "Thats wrong, you don't know what your talking about".

You say that like it's a bad thing. Personally, I think correcting
others when they've got something wrong is generally a good idea. That
includes wanting others to correct me when I've screwed something up,
BTW.

> I'm sorry you've taken some sort of dislike to me I've checked my posts and
> don't see any personal slights against you (excluding, possibly, this mail)
> other than ignoring your correct adhererance to the kernel rules which IMO is
> irrelevant so long as my card works I know you disagree so there it is.

It's nothing to do with "kernel rules", nor do I believe Nix has taken
a dislike to you. But your original claim that tainting your kernel
was unimportant as it doesn't affect performance is bizarre enough to
be questioned by many around here, and Nix just happened to be the
first. True, it doesn't affect performance, and if that's your only
requirement, then go right ahead, fill your kernel with as many binary
modules as you can get your hands on. But don't expect the kernel to
be supportable afterwards. That's all anyone is disputing here. Using
binary modules is a tradeoff between having things Just Work(tm) and
having a kernel that's supported in the event that something goes
wrong. Whether you deem the tradeoff to be acceptable or not is purely
a matter of personal choice, and few will criticize you, whichever
side you take. But to effectively claim that the tradeoff doesn't
exist (as you did) is just plain wrong.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk