[Gllug] Wireless problems (Kubuntu 6.10)

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 10:44:44 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 10:35 +0000, Thomi Richards wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm having a few problems with my laptop wireless card - I'm hoping
> someone here can help me out with it.
>
> The card is an "Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG" (quoted from
> `lspci`). After a fresh install of Kubuntu 6.10, I connected to the
> wireless network just fine using the kde "wlassistant" tool. I have
> heard the "kwifimanager" application recommended on this list, so I
> installed that.

I'm using the same wireless adapter in my laptop, using Ubuntu Edgy. I
found that the easiest way to connect to work and home WLANs, using
different authentication schemes, etc., was to install network-manager.

This scans for all available wireless networks and integrates with key
management of KDE or Gnome to store auth credentials - my laptop now
'knows' which networks to try to connect to at home and at work and what
credentials to supply to do so. Network-manager will also use a wired
connection if there is one available and it can all be driven from an
applet on your panel.

Worth investigating if you want something that Just Works and aren't
interested in learning lots about wireless on Linux.

Cheers,

Richard.