[Gllug] Wireless problems (Kubuntu 6.10)

Thomi Richards thomir at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 10:35:56 UTC 2007

Hello All,

I'm having a few problems with my laptop wireless card - I'm hoping
someone here can help me out with it.

The card is an "Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG" (quoted from
`lspci`). After a fresh install of Kubuntu 6.10, I connected to the
wireless network just fine using the kde "wlassistant" tool. I have
heard the "kwifimanager" application recommended on this list, so I
installed that.

Here's the problem: As soon as I run kwifimanager and click on the
"scan networks" button, the network card is switched off (iwconfig
shows "radio off"). No amount of running "iwconfig eth1 txpower
<auto|on|fixed>" can switch it back on. I have to reboot the laptop if
I want to use the wireless network card again.

The wlassistant application is also somewhat broken - it will show
available networks, but whenever I try and connect to one, it says
"connection failed". It DOES however establish association with the
network, but doesn't run "dhclient eth1" - when I run dhclient
manually it works just fine.

Am I missing something really obvious here? Hopefully someone can
point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk