[Gllug] OSS Spam filtering, virus scanning email solutions

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Thu Jan 11 08:50:45 UTC 2007

I too can testify to the insanity of using blacklists as an absolute means
of blocking incoming emails.  We regularly send overnight email stock updates
and delivery details to certain customers and then one customer to whom we have
been emailing for years suddenly started blocking all our emails.   It took
over 6 phone calls to get them to sort the problem.  It transpired that due to
the high volume of spam they were receiving they had implemented blocking via
some blacklist in Norway and that blacklist indicated we should be rejected
because 'our IP address was within a block of dynamically assigned IPs'
(we have an ADSL circuit with a static IP - but presumably within a block the
ISP uses for general ADSL purposes).  I am still unsure as to whether we are on
the blacklist or whether our customer found a way of separately whitelisting us.
Tim