[Gllug] EU council streaming petition

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Mon Jan 1 22:35:46 UTC 2007

salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> Yet

They're not, nor is there any intention to do so, nor has anyone
_suggested_ there should be.  Don't base your arguments on "well what
if...?" scenarios.

> How easy would it be for M$ to add encryption to the next version of .wmv,
> such that only Vista/Windows Media Player could legally de-crypt it ?

About this easy   ---->     <----

I don't follow your point.

The streams are not encrypted, there is not indication they are going to
be.  Your argument is _stupid_.  Had the article said "From Jan 1st
2007, all streams of EU meetings will only be viewable by MS Media
Player version X running on Windows Vista and we'll back that up with
some crypto voodoo" then, yes, your argument would perhaps  be valid.
They haven't, it isn't.

> It would then be illegal to decrypt it.

Nope. Fair use, despite what our American friends may have you believe.
The DMCA does not apply in Europe.

> The .wmv format is also patented. Same problem as with .mp3, .gif and jpeg.

Thousands of other things you use on a daily basis are patented without
you giving it a thought.  Or do you use an open source razor?

> See also the Virtual Dub article I posted a link to. Microsoft could
> threaten VLC with a lawsuit any time they wanted.

Microsoft can threaten anyone with a lawsuit any time they want, as can I.

> Or they could simply change the next version of .wmv to be incompatible,
> like they do with .doc, and then it would require reverse engineering all
> over again.

And?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk