[Gllug] TFT Monitors

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Wed Jan 10 16:29:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 09:06:29AM +0000, Dick Turpin wrote:
> Nix wrote:
> >On 9 Jan 2007, Dick Turpin told this:
> >
> >It's a personal opinion that's, um, factually wrong.
> No its not factually wrong because the thing works.

The notice does not say that the kernel won't work, so you are very
confused.

> However you are correct in that its just not good practice regarding
> support if people want to be hard nosed about it. I don't subscribe to
> the 'Draw Bridge' philosophy "Ah sorry its the wrong type of flange nut
> theres nothing we can do for you". I see that kind of attitude every
> day, yes its the wrong one, yes that makes the warranty void but its a
> cop out people could help really but use it as an excuse not to. Thats
> what 40 odd years has taught me anyway.

As the operator of the machine you can of course choose to disregard
what the actual kernel developers say about whether it is
supportable or not, but I think that before you portray it as being
"hard nosed" and "an excuse" on a public mailing list you really
should know more about the issue.  Unless you are an experienced
kernel developer who regularly debugs kernels with binary modules in
them, that is?

Cheers,
Andy