[Gllug] Still unable to boot using grub on Mbr

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 10:10:24 UTC 2007

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 at 17:39, "- Tethys" <tethys at gmail.com> wrote:-

> On 1/23/07, john gennard <joney at clara.co.uk> wrote:

>>When Ubuntu put Grub on the Mbr nothing happens on boot, and
>>I cannot reach or boot it even from a Grub prompt.

> What does your grub.conf look like? What error messages do you get?

a. If I attempt to boot from the Hard Drive, I get:-

	"GRUB Loading stage 1.5"
	"GRUB loading, please wait"	nothing more happens.

b. Using a floppy which gives me a Grub prompt:-

	i.   'rootnoverify (Hd0,0) + chainloader +1 + boot'
		boots Win 2000
	ii.  'root (Hd0,1) + kernel details + initrd.img details + 			boot'
    boots into Debian Sarge.
	iii. 'root (Hd0,2)'
    		does nothing except produce a flashing '-'

c. I've no grub.conf in Ubuntu,, nor was there in Debian. This
	has surprised me - I thought menu.lst was the config file
	(probably means I was wrong).
    Menu.lst in Ububtu is as follows (that in Debian only showed
	Debian itself - normally I edit to include other 			installations):-

	default		 0
  	timeout 	10
	title		Ubuntu, kernel-2.6.17-10-generic
	root		(hd0,2)
	kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic
				root=/dev/hda3 ro quiet splash
	initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic
	quiet
	savedefault
	boot

	[there are entries for 'recovery mode' and 'memtest86+)

	After the divider for entries other than Debian ones:-

	title		other operating systems
	root

	title		Windows 2000
	root 		(hd0,0)