[Gllug] BBC: Battle of the operating systems

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri Jan 26 09:47:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Thomi Richards wrote:

> Anyway, I guess what I'm *trying* to say is that (IMHO) Linux and OSS
> will succeed, one way or another.. I think we need to be careful how we
> get there..

"will succeed"?

We've already succeeded - Linux has massive penetration in the server
market (as does *BSD) and Linux has also gained a percentage of the
desktop market.

All of that however is a poor measurement of success. Real success is that
a Linux system can do what you want and you are happy using it.

The only thing that is lacking for me is a decent small business
accounting package suitable for specific national markets. The available
offerings are either too limited or require too much resource commitment
and are inflexible (a major failing in a Free Software product).

To date I have got by with a basic system I wrote myself however it no
longer meets my needs so I've been looking for a decent and comprehensive
system with an API I can use to post transactions to it. No such luck!

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98