[Gllug] EU council streaming petition

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Thu Jan 4 10:21:46 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 17:53 +0100, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> In the FAQ
> they express a really strange opinion about this: 'The live streaming
> media service of the Council of the European Union can be viewed on
> Microsoft Windows and Macintosh platforms. We cannot support Linux in a
> legal way. So the answer is: No support for Linux.' An online petition has
> been set up to create pressure to convince the EU council to change its
> service to one that is platform independent.

I took the liberty of sending an email in asking why supporting Linux
would be a legal problem.  Here's the reply:

Dear Mr Brooks,

Thank you for your email which was sent to us during the Christmas
period, which is the reason why we were not able to answer you before.

The FAQ you refer to in your email has an error in its English version
compared to the original French version. The sentence mentioning Linux
does not exist in the original French version. So, the English version
has been modified.

We will forward your comments to our technical data department for
information. Thank you for your interest in our web site.

Sincerely,

Maureen A. Barnett
DG F - Information to the Public
General Secretariat of the Council of the European Union
Tel: 00 32 2 281 5650
Fax: 00 32 2 281 4977
e-mail: public.info at consilium.europa.eu
Internet: http://www.consilium.europa.eu