[Gllug] OSS Spam filtering, virus scanning email solutions

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Tue Jan 9 21:37:37 UTC 2007

John G Walker wrote:
> Apologies if I've wrongly lumped Spamhaus in with it. I still think it's
> a flawed method of fighting spam. It's like, if you receive some junk
> mail postmarked 'Bolton', rejecting every piece of mail from Bolton -
> except that with emails, the sender postmarks the mail, so you don't
> actually know where it originated

Actually, it's worse than that.  To loosely follow your analogy:

"I received some junk mail from Bolton, therefore I'll unconditionally
reject all mail that originates from there and the surrounding area.
There and the surrounding area being defined by someone I don't know who
can arbitrarily shrink or grow this surrounding area without consulting me."

As my work colleagues can hopefully confirm, I don't often use
profanity, so please don't misunderstand me when I say: people who use
third party blacklists as a definitive guide to which mails should be
accepted ,or not, are fucking stupid.  It's sheer idiocy.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk