[Gllug] OSS Spam filtering, virus scanning email solutions

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 20:58:12 UTC 2007

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 20:26:06 +0000 Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> On 3 Jan 2007, John G. Walker told this:
> > You don't just have to use dodgy ISPs to get on a blacklist from
> > Spamhaus, Spamcop or the like. These guys also blacklist people they
> > don't approve of (eg wrong politics).
>
> Spamhaus don't do that. Don't confuse spamhaus with spamcop (not that
> spamcop does that either: its major problem is that it's willing to
> blacklist based on much too little data).

Spamcop definitely does that. I have personal experience of this.

Apologies if I've wrongly lumped Spamhaus in with it. I still think it's
a flawed method of fighting spam. It's like, if you receive some junk
mail postmarked 'Bolton', rejecting every piece of mail from Bolton -
except that with emails, the sender postmarks the mail, so you don't
actually know where it originated,

--
 All the best,
 John