[Gllug] A few words on the topic of stock spam

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 22:05:09 UTC 2007

--------

"Martin A. Brooks" writes:

>May be of interest to some, mostly won't be of interest to anyone.

Someone published an interesting paper about observing price movements
and using them to measure how widespread particular spam messages were.
Sadly my Google Fu is not letting me find it right now.

>To my knowledge, stock trades are all recorded. Surely it can't be
>that hard to match the symbol in question up to a heavy purchase
>followed by a heavy sell? This would surely make it possible to
>identify the individuals and, I'm sure, companies who see saturating
>your mail server and polluting your inbox as an easy route to a quick
>profit.

Yes, it would. But not conclusively. Not beyond reasonable doubt.
Which ultimately, is all that matters.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk