[Gllug] Hello from Cape Town

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 21:08:43 UTC 2007

On Mon 23 Jul, tid wrote:
> On 23/07/07, Ben Whyte <ben at whyte-systems.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> > I work in Staines, and we're looking at our continuation of business
> > plan due to the huge flood surge coming down the thames.
> >

> Does anyone else think it's odd that given global warming issues, a lot of
> companies still seem  to
> basing their DR sites in the docklands / thames estuary: or is it just me?
>
> Come to think of it, how flood-proof is that bunker in the thames valley?
>
> Tid

   Almost anywhere is vulnerable, given enough rain, it only needs a dip in
the ground. A very small area suffered a flash flood about 2 feet deep just
5 minutes walk from here last year, and I am well above the flood plain.
   The current storms are very unusual. It could be some time before the
full surge reaches the London area, but there is little we can do if it goes
over or around the installed flood defences. The defences are not
continuous, and some areas are known to flood frequently.
   The bunker was probably originally designed to be totally sealed and
fitted with a total life and power support system, but that may not be the
situation now.
   Much of the recent flooding has followed a rough line from Bristol/South
Wales towards the North East, roughly the line of the seismically active
Craven fault. An unusual amount of surface water could even trigger an
earthquake, and we may discover the source of the heated ground water in
Bath. I suppose a new volcano would be a tourist attraction.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk