[Gllug] Network problems

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 14:35:31 UTC 2007

My small network has all but ceased working. I've had it runnign for
about 18 months and it was fine until a couple of weeks ago. I've
managed to stagger through until now with all kinds of workarounds, but
I really need to get this sorted, so any suggestions would be gratefully
received.

The network consists, at its minimum, of a server, which I'll call
PC-A, running SuSE 10.0 and Samba, and a Windows 98SE machine - PC-G -
linked up via a Netgear DG834G router, which acts as a DHCP server.
Additionally, I have a laptop, PC-L, running SuSE 10.1, and a new
machine that I've been working on add some redundancy into the system,
PC-R, which runs SuSE 10.2. PC-L and PC-R both also run Samba.

Samba is working. I can use the Windows machine, PC-G, to connect
through to any of the other PCs that I have running. The problem lies
with the SuSE machines. Although I can connect to them, they will not
recognise any of the other machines.

I've tracked the problem down to IP addresses. None of the SuSE
machines are picking up the correct IP addresses. For example, PC-G is
at address 192.168.0.2, but when I type, from PC-A

smbclient -L PC-G

I get the response

Error connecting to 195.238.237.143 (Connection refused)

I've no idea where 195.238.237.143 comes from. It's nothing to do with
me, guv. The same happens on the other machines, except that the last
triplet is 142.

On the other hand, if I type

smbclient -L PC-G -I 192.168.0.2

I get the correct information

This convinces me that things will work once again, if I could only get
Samba to find the correct IP addresses. It's obviously started looking
in the wrong place, or there's some sort of config file that's been
corrupted or something.

I've got wins defined in the hosts line of /etc/nsswitch.conf, by the
way, so Samba should be picking up IP addresses from NetBIOS names, and
was until all this happened.

Any suggestions as to where to look to sort out the address?

--
 All the best,
 John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk