[Gllug] A few words on the topic of stock spam

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 08:15:49 UTC 2007

On 12/07/07, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 02:24:50PM +0100, John G Walker wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:16:48 +0100 Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org>
> > wrote:
> > > The law is quite well-equipped for dealing with questions of intent
> > > and degree.  It is quite reasonable to let a judge decide that sending
> > > 50 emails to invite your friends to a party once in a while is not
> > > spam.  Whereas sending 10,000 emails, repeatedly, even when people
> > > have asked you to stop, is spam.
> >
> > Quite right. But there's then a question, resulting from the spammers'
> > use of hijacked PCs, of *who* is doing the spamming - the owner of the
> > PC or the sinister forces controlling the machine? It's this ambiguity
> > that creates the difficulties in prosecuting spammers - and allows
> > spammers legal loopholes to crawl through,
>
> It is not "this ambiguity that creates the difficulties in prosecuting
> spammers".  It's perfectly simple to trace spammers -- for example by
> tracing the purchases of stocks that they are pimping, or looking at
> the sellers of diet pills, etc. etc.  The problem is that (a)
> politicians don't care enough to get together and make some laws on
> the subject and

Do we really need more laws? and How are you going to make laws that will
effect the spammers when the spammers will just move to another country
where the laws don't apply.

(b) the police aren't given resources to do something
> about it.

Now global crime needs global police are you sugesting a new international
police force just to police the internet? (Run by the UN I guess could be
interesting) and what laws  do they enforce, I suspect they would end up
having to cope with copyright law as well.

We believe in free speech on the internet unfortunately that means free
speech for the spammers.

Peter

Rich.