[Gllug] A few words on the topic of stock spam

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Thu Jul 12 10:01:52 UTC 2007

"Peter Childs" <peterachilds at gmail.com> writes:

> Now global crime needs global police are you sugesting a new international
> police force just to police the internet? (Run by the UN I guess could be
> interesting) and what laws  do they enforce, I suspect they would end up
> having to cope with copyright law as well.

At least one of the world's major jurisdictions has made it clear that
they regard their particular legal system as enforceable across the
whole world. Most jurisdictions allow some form of extradition for trial
in some other countries. And, of course, a company can be prosecuted in
a country in which they do business without having to be registered
there.

So I don't think any additional laws are required.

> We believe in free speech on the internet unfortunately that means free
> speech for the spammers.

Category error.

"free speech on the internet" is not the same as "you can send everyone
millions of emails that they have to pay to clear up".

It's the difference between sticking a leaflet through everyone's door
(which costs you lots and them little) and dropping millions of leaflets
from aeroplanes.

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadowrobot.com/hand/overview.shtml