[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 14:44:09 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 15:32 +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 03:09:42PM +0100, Richard wrote:
> > I'd argue that the lack of decent integrated replication doesn't make
> > PostgreSQL a bad DB - it functions perfectly well as an RDBMS without
> > that feature and if third parties are putting-in the effort to build
> > replication solutions then that leaves the Pg developers free to
> > concentrate on the most important bit, which is ensuring that the RDBMS
> > itself works well. Really, replication is an add-on and whilst it may be
> > essential to you and your business it's clearly not essential when
> > developing an RDBMS.
>
> It's essential for using one, though, for anything where your salary is
> on the line.  For all the things that I don't like about MySQL, setting
> up replication is trivial and uncomplicated, as is almost every other
> aspect of the feature.

Well now, that very much depends on what you use it for. I don't think
replication is an essential feature for using an RDBMS but I'm neither a
DBA nor a sysadmin responsible for making sure our DBs are always
available.

Don't get me wrong though - I'd love to see decent Open Source
replication for PostgreSQL. I just think it's still a good DB even
without easy, integrated replication.

R.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk